These simple to make, delicious oaty bars are packed full of goodness. They are the perfect snack to take with you to training sessions. Mix them up with your favorite fruits and nuts and this may just become your go-to-recipe.
- 1 cup pitted dates soaked in boiling water and a dash of lemon juice
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup natural peanut butter or almond butter
- 1 cup raw almonds loosely chopped
- 1 ½ cups rolled oats
- Rind of one orange grated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
- Optional – dried fruit seeds, dark chocolate chips, other nuts and seeds
- Preheat oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- Pour out excess water from dates then puree in a food processor.
- Toast your oats at 180 °C (350 °F) for 15-20 minutes or until slightly golden brown. You can leave raw if you prefer.
- Place oats, almonds and optional ingredients in a large bowl and set aside.
- Warm honey, vanilla and peanut butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Stirring constantly.
- Remove and stir in date puree, cinnamon and orange rind then fold into oat mixture.
- Once thoroughly mixed, transfer to a lined 8×8 dish or another small oven dish.
- Press down until uniformly flattened.
- Bake in oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown. You may need to allow slightly longer if using raw oats.
- Remove from pan and chop into even bars. Store in an airtight container.
Calories: 123kcalCarbohydrates: 13gProtein: 3gFat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gFiber: 2g