Easy, nutritious and delicious! This balsamic chicken and vegetable bake is quick to prepare and in the oven for less than 30 minutes. A well-balanced dish containing quality carbohydrates, protein, fats, vitamins and minerals. It makes the perfect weeknight meal for the busy athlete.
- 2 skinless free range chicken breasts
- 1 kumara
- 1 large beetroot
- 1/4 head of cauliflower
- 1 zucchini
- 1/4 red onion
- 6 stalks of asparagus
- 1-2 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- Fresh basil or thyme optional
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C (392 °F).
- Line a large oven tray with baking paper.
- Dice all of the vegetables, except asparagus and spinach, into small chunks and chop the garlic thinly.
- Pat the chicken breasts dry, cover with glad wrap (or put in a ziplock bag) and pound gently with the bottom of a saucepan – this helps to thin them out allowing for a faster cooking time.
- Place the chicken, garlic and vegetables, except spinach, on the lined baking tray.
- Mix together the honey, balsamic and oil and brush it over the chicken and vegetables.
- Place the tray in the oven and bake for about 25 minutes or until the chicken has cooked through.
- Remove from the oven, season with salt and pepper and mix through the spinach and herbs before serving.
- You can either serve the breasts whole or chop them up into chunks.
For even more flavour pop the chicken into a zip-lock bag with 1/4 of the balsamic mixture and allow to marinade overnight. Hot Tips:
- Swap the chicken out for salmon for an omega-3 hit
- Busy week ahead? Cook extra and portion into airtight reusable containers for a ready made lunch option
- To make this dish vegetarian just swap out the chicken for chickpeas or falafel. If using chickpeas soak them overnight in water and drain before laying them out on the tray. Alternatively you can use them straight from the can, rinsed and drained.
Calories: 478kcalCarbohydrates: 40gProtein: 29gFat: 20gSaturated Fat: 3gFiber: 10g